Blog Poverty Action Day: Our country. Our battle. Our Poverty

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The country I live is a place where people of strength and courage dwell. I grew up being told about the sad past my parents lived in. I grew up knowing that the world today is a product of the past that constantly follows us. With Apartheid gone and a new South Africa growing strong in its democratic principles, we are still, however, faced with hardships such as poverty. While many South Africans fought and won freedom, so many still live in poverty and are fighting everyday to survive to see tomorrow. It is issues like these in our country that make me believe that this is a country that is constantly in some battle to overcome hardship. Our strength as South Africans in not necessary in the individual. Rather it is in the masses that have a cause to fight for a better life and a better country. We cannot leave our fellow South Africans fighting alone and placing responsibility to the government. We must stand for others and show the world what our ancestors meant when they spoke about “ubuntu”. I also call upon my own generation, the youth, to see that we too have the power to bring change, just the same why our parents did in the Soweto uprisings. We too have a page to fill in the history books, a chapter that writes about a generation that fought for equality and poverty. I call for a change!!

Pumelela 'Push' Nqelenga

1 comments:

po said...

nice writing, I always believe that everything that happened in the past affects everything that happens today.