Black Knights' Disgrace

Thursday, October 2, 2008


It has come to many people's attention that on campus there has been two girls who have been mugged. I must stress to you that this is old news. This incident happened over a week ago and the news have made front page news in Activate (Rhodes University student paper). I believe the incident was tragic and those girls (who happen to be my friends from drama) have endured a lot in one afternoon.


As much as the artilce in Activate helped raise awareness of crime in our campus, I think it is nonsensical that the Universty only showed this article on its website the same week as Activate. How can the the universty take so long to report such a thing and still say they are here for our own interest. Lets be serious please! The universty brags every year about it's security measure yet there are still incident like these happening on campus.

Since I'm a drama student let me just give you an i dea of the security measures taken by our 'black knights' called the CPU. I arrive there on a weekend and I see no security guard. So i search for one just in case someone might mug me while I'm busy reciting my lines. I find the security guard in the corner busy looking at his phone. I politely ask which door is open and he says "try them all". I go around the corner to the main enterance and I open the door. People I think to myself that at any momonet I might be muggd and that security guard is busy Mxiting while my belongings are taken away. I'm sure by the time he realises that a crime has occurred, he will be trying to open the lock on the chain that is protecting his bike. By the time he is paddling his way to rescue my things, the little culprit will have jumped fences and escaped for good.

I'm not usually pestimistic about things but this incident has given me no choice. So people please bump your tyres just in case it might be in your hands to save others. And to those 'Black Knights', FOR SHAME!!

0 comments: